Saturday, December 18, 2010

"I'm taking pictures in my mind so I can save them for a rainy day..."

Sometimes life goes by just like snapshots in your mind. Pictures taken to capture a single moment in time.
I've had a love for photography and taking pictures as long as I can remember. I get it honest; my dad has always loved the same thing. But along with that, my mind operates in snapshots sometimes. I look at the world around me, or people I'm close to and my eyes start to look at how I would frame that view in a photograph. A sunset isn't just a sunset; it's a moment waiting to be captured. A sudden break of a smile on a friend's face isn't just a smile; it's joy embodied, just begging to be remembered in a picture. Simple, spontaneous moments that somehow capture our favorite parts of life; happiness, smiles, being together, the beauty of creation. A lot of times though, it's easy to feel like your photo album wouldn't measure up to someone else's; it's easy to feel that there's a shortage of excitement and adventure compared to other people. However, it's a treasure to be able to see your own life, and the snapshots capturing the special moments in that life, and appreciate every bit of it. Even though our lives certainly don't always work out to be what we wish they would, they're OURS. The way that God made me & the experiences that He has allowed in my life are not exactly like anyone else's in the world, or in history. Surely He has made me for "such a time as this", and wouldn't it make it more meaningful to live it looking for the joys He allows me throughout? The simple moments? The feeling of holding my sleepy little dog in my arms, or the sounds of my nephew's laugh, or seeing my brother when it's been too long; a familiar voice on the phone, a text that makes you smile. It's all part of my photo album; the moments that make my days better, and my photo album of life more colorful. And even though some days I feel like my life couldn't be more boring or uneventful, there are still little moments that let me know that it's special just the way it is. The times I'm experiencing are exciting and special, and probably will turn out to be the best years. But that's almost hard to believe for me. Because somehow, I'm positive that there are treasures at every stage of this life. There are little moments spread all throughout that make it more beautiful. There are pictures of His grace and love and mercy all mixed in. And using my little moments and joys, a beautiful collage is made of Creation and the lives that we are allowed to live, so undeservingly.
I hope you enjoy some wonderful snapshots of your life this next week, and that you can appreciate them for all that they're worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment