Friday, December 3, 2010

This world keeps spinning faster.

One of my favorite movies is Enchanted. In it, Patrick Dempsey is talking to his six-year-old daughter & tells her that she & his girlfriend are going to spend some "grown up girl bonding time together" the next day. She replies, "But I'm only six." Then Patrick Dempsey says the line that gets me every time. "You won't always be."

Time. Flies. I'm sitting typing this in my college dorm room where I am retreating after finishing two exams to finish out my first semester of college. And it seems like yesterday, I was 13. My biggest worries used to be about my brothers picking on me or not being able to stay up as late as I wanted to. Then it was worrying about getting my learner's permit. Now, I'm worried about scholarships, getting a job, & starting a savings account for after college. It's amazing how things change. In a lot of ways it's scary. Just the being on your own part. There is definitely huge excitement about independence, but a huge dose of sadness too being away from the familiar. But I love what God is doing in my life. I love what I'm learning, I love how I'm growing, I love the friends I'm making. And God is giving me so many incredible opportunities that it's just unbelievable. And surely it will only get better from here. So even though time is flying, I am loving where it's going. Even though it requires leaving behind little girl fantasies, it enables making your dreams finally come true, as cliche as that is. And the glorious thing is that I know how this story ends because I know the Writer! God is good, & life is such a blessing, & I don't want to waste a single day.

1 comment:

  1. Yes time and your life flies... and if you dont look out for it you could miss it! I love Enchanted too!

    ReplyDelete