Saturday, September 25, 2010

Therapy session.

Today, I miss lots of things.

I miss my grandmama. I miss her voice. I miss her laugh. I miss her cooking!!!

I miss my little dog who's at home with my parents. I miss him jumping on me in the mornings when my mom would come let him out so I could sleep a few extra minutes. I miss seeing him run up the hill of the front yard when I call him, usually with the tune of "Heart & Soul".

Speaking of my parents, I miss them too. Even though it's only been a week since I've seen them, & they're coming next weekend as well. But I miss them anyway.

I miss my mom's hugs. And her cooking too.

I miss my dad's corny jokes. Hearing them over the phone isn't the same; you can't see him looking to see if you're laughing.

I miss my best friend Lauren from high school. I miss walking to class with her, going out on the weekends, just talking about things. I miss our inside jokes & how comfortable we are with each other. I miss how she could know what I was thinking with just one look.

I miss my brothers. Oh, how I miss my brothers. I haven't seen Alan since January I think. I've seen Jon more recently, about three weeks ago, but even a few days is too much to be apart in my opinion. I miss when we were all growing up and the most serious issues in my life were that they wouldn't leave me alone. I miss family vacations and the horrible fights we had & then eventually getting over it all & having so much fun together. I miss being younger.

I miss my dad's parents. I miss my Papa's smile. I miss him calling me "Miss South Carolina" when I walked in the door when I was younger. I miss him telling me "I guess I'll keep you." I miss his "John Henry" stories about that fish. I miss his voice, and his hugs too. I miss my Grandmama saying "Thomas" really loud because he couldn't hear, even with his hearing aid. I miss her brunswick stew; I still haven't found any that compares. I miss how she always wanted to know everything that was happening in our lives. I even miss living in Georgia where so many people we knew used to know her & I could talk about her. Here, no one knows how amazing she was. I miss my Papa's truck with the red door, the one I got my foot cut on with a chainsaw when us kids were getting turns to drive it in the pasture. I miss the cows on the farm. I miss the house on the farm, & I miss living in it. I miss the horrible wallpaper, the ugly 70's style carpet, and the feeling of home that lived there, & the amazing memories.

I miss when I knew what the day ahead was going to hold. I miss being tired of being around people, since I'm alone way too often these days. I miss being comfortable in my environment, even though that will come with time. I miss knowing everyone in my church, even though that will hopefully come in time too.

I miss my "best adult friends" Mrs. Elaine & Mrs. Lisa, who never fail to encourage me & lend a listening ear to all of my problems, or simply stories of the day.

I miss Atlanta. I miss the food (the Varsity, The Blue Willow...other wonderful places). I miss Madison, even, just a little bit. Just for familiarity's sake.

Of everything that changes in life, God is the only thing that I know will never go anywhere, and neither will His love for me.

Standing on the promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment